Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tired of Tofurky? Try this!

I find this to be a very reliable, tasty, and easy vegan entree for holiday meals. It makes for plenty of leftovers and non-vegans generally enjoy it as a side dish. It is from the cookbook "Everyday Vegan" by Jeani-Rose Atchison. North Atlantic Books. 2002. Buy the book-I did. Happy Thanksgiving. Parenthetical comments are my own.

SQUASH AND BEAN CASSEROLE
INGREDIENTS:

1 Large kabocha, butternut (my choice), or acorn squash
3 cups water
1 cup corn grits
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. oil
1 large onion, diced
oil
4 cups cooked beans : anasazi, pinto, etc. (black beans, pinto and/or kidney beans might be good-or a combination.)
1 Tbsp Vogue Vege Base (I use Orrington Farms soup seasoning powder or Better than Bouillion paste instead)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos (I substitute soy sauce instead)
1/8-1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder, optional (1/4 tsp. is a bit much for those who can't handle much spice)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Quarter squash (can be difficult to cut squash). Remove seeds. Place on baking sheet, cut side down. Bake for approximately 45 minutes. Let cool. Mash. Set aside.

Bring water to a boil. Add grits slowly. Turn down temperature to low. Stir continuously until polenta thickens. Add salt and oil. Stir briefly. (total cooking time should be 7 to 10 minutes. Pour immediately into oiled casserole dish. Set aside.

Saute onion with oil in pan until translucent. Add remaining ingredients, adding a small amount of water, if needed. Adjust seasonings. Cook for 5 minutes. Pour over polenta.

Layer the mashed squash over beans. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.

Bake at 350 degrees until heated through, approximately 15-20 minutes.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

this sounds great!i love casseroles because they usually last me a few days. i haven't been able to find bragg's, but i really want to try it.

Habanero said...

Hi Joanna, I have tasted Bragg's before, and I think it tastes a lot like soy sauce, so I substitute that. I normally watch my sodium and use half or less off the braggs/soy sauce I list in the recipe and it is no problem. You could probably omit it entirely. And yes, it will last you a few days :)