Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Recipe Idea - Pineapple Coconut Milk Ice Cream

An idea more than an actual recipe unfortunately. From the moment I bought my ice cream maker I wanted to make a pineapple-coconut sorbet or ice cream. I had bought some pineapple juice that only had a couple days left on it and no recipe I found made use of both pineapple juice and coconut milk. So, I just did it myself.

Ingredients:

Coconut Milk (at least one can)
100% Pineapple Juice
Pure Cane Sugar
Lime Juice (optional)

Basically, I put some coconut milk, pineapple juice and sugar in a bowl. I used a hand mixer for one minute to dissolve the sugar in the mixture. Then I tasted the mixture and added more coconut milk or pineapple juice until the combo tasted the way i wanted. Then I added a touch of lime juice-oops. Even though I used only a capful or so it was more potent than anticipated which caused me to add more milk, sugar, and juice until I restored my preferred flavor balance. Once achieved I simply put it in my ice cream maker until it was thickened and then placed in freezer.

I waited until the next morning to try it and it was fantastic. Most ice creams from the machine need a little defrosting prior to eating-this one does not. Spooned it right out. Nice and firm and creamy, but not TOO hard, so you can have instant gratification. I suspect this might have to do with the coconut milk. This was good plain or in a sugar cone. It was also fantastic with a simple raspberry sauce that I had leftover from my raspberry almond flan. I will have to find the raspberry sauce recipe. Anyhow, that's it-my first sort recipe posting. Sorry I can't be specific on quantities-I should have kept track how much I put in. Anyhow, experimenting is part of the fun anyway.

No comments: